Prof Shahid Ashraf
Department of Economics,
Jamia Millia Islamia,
New Delhi - 110025
26985243 (Direct No.)
9971806113 (Mobile No.)
- Ph. D., Patna University, 1992.
(Topic: Term Financing and Growth of Indian Industries 1969-1989).
- M. Phil., A Minus, Jawaharlal Nehru University, 1986.
(Topic: Restructuring of the Indian Manufacturing Sector 1960-1978).
- M.A., First Class, Aligarh Muslim University, 1981.
- B.A. (Hons.), First Class, Aligarh Muslim University, 1979.
Teaching & Research Experience
- Professor, Department of Economics, Jamia Millia Islamia
- Reader, Department of Economics, Jamia Millia Islamia
- Lecturer, Academic Staff College, Jamia Millia Islamia.
- Lecturer, Department of Economics, Aligarh Muslim University.
- Lecturer, Department of Economics, Bhagat Singh College, Delhi University.
- Research Fellow at CORT and CSAR.
- Consultant to International Labour Organisation, United Nations Development Programme, Friedrich Ebert Stiftung, etc.
- Teaching and Research experience from 1983 onwards.
- Head, Department of Economics, Jamia Millia Islamia (June 2009 - June 2012)
- Finance Officer, Jamia Millia Islamia (Additional Charge from August 2010 till date)
Area of Academic Interest
- Industrial and Financial Economics
- Employment and Development Issues (child labour, health etc.)
- Master’s level:
Indian Economic Policy
- Bachelor’s level:
Mathematical Methods for Economics
Supervision of Ph.D.
Awarded : Three
- Regional and Multilateral Trade in Developing Countries (Ed., with Shahid Ahmed) Routledge, 2011.
- Competition Privatisation and Reforms: The Indian Telecom Industry, (with Poonam Mittal), Academic Excellence Publishers and Distributors, New Delhi, 2006.
- Basic Quantitative Methods for Economics and Business, (with Shehroz A Rizvi), Cadplan Publishers and Distributors, New Delhi, 1998.
- Indian Industry : Restructuring and Growth, Mittal Publication, New Delhi., 1986.
- “Empirical Relationship Between Index Futures Prices, Volume and Open Interest: Evidence from Indian Futures Market” (With Mooni Shakeel). The IUP Journal of Applied Finance, Vol. 18, No. 3, July 2012.
- “Children in India’s Carpet Industry, Tea Industry and Glass Industry”, The World of Child Labour: An Historical and Regional Survey, edited by Hugh H. Hindman and published by ME Sharpe, USA, 2009.
- “Causality and Volatility in the Firm level Stock Returns and Volume in India: Evidence from NSE” (with Khan Masood Ahmad and Shahid Ahmed), Finance India, A Quarterly Journal of Finance, March 2008.
- “Testing Weak Form Efficiency: Firm Level Analysis at the National Stock Exchange” (with Khan Masood Ahmad and Shahid Ahmed), Indian Economic Journal, 55(ii), July-September,2007.
- “Possibilities of India becoming a Destination for Arab Investments?” (with Khan Masood Ahmad and Shahid Ahmed), in Need The Dough, IIPM, Volume 2 Issue 1, April-June 2007.
- “Testing Weak Form of Efficiency for Indian Stock Markets” (with Khan Masood Ahmad and Shahid Ahmed), Economic and Political Weekly, Vol XLI, No. 1, January 7-13, 2006.
- “Pricing of Services to Consumers and the Need for Competitive Market: A Case Study of India’s Telecom Sector” (with Poonam Mittal) The Indian Journal of Public Administration, Vol. LII, No. 1 January - March, 2006.
- “Is the Indian Stock Market Integrated with the US and Japanese Markets? An Empirical Analysis” (with Khan Masood Ahmad and Shahid Ahmed), South Asian Economic Journal, Vol. 6,No.2 July-December, 2005.
- “Reproductive Health and Empowerment: Expectations and Experiences of Married Women” (with Aditi Aeron). Labour and Development, Vol. 11 no. 1 June, 2005.
- “An Empirical Investigation of FIIs Role in the Indian Equity Market: A Firm Level Analysis” (with Khan Masood Ahmad and Shahid Ahmed), ICFAI Journal of Applied Finance,Vol.11,No.8, September, 2005.
- “Foreign Institutional Investment Flows and Equity Returns in India” (with Khan Masood Ahmad and Shahid Ahmed), ICFAI Journal of Applied Finance, Vol. 11, No.3, March, 2005.
- "Globalization and Development: Some Issues and Empirical Facts", (with S. K. Mathur) in S. K. Thorat, (ed.) Industrialization, Economic Reforms and Regional Development, Shipra Publications, Delhi. 2005.
- “An Empirical Investigation of Causality and Dynamic Linkages: A Case of Indian and American Equity Markets” (with Khan Masood Ahmad and Shahid Ahmed), Prajnan, Vol. 33, October - December, 2004.
- “Food Security Through Improving Rural Female Employment – Need to Develop Gender Specific Strategies and Institutions”, (with T.A. Farooqui) in M.S. Bhatt (Ed.) Poverty and Food Security in India, Aakaar Books, New Delhi, 2004.
- “Economic Discrimination Against Women in India”, in A. K. Lal (Ed.) Social Exclusion, Concept Publishing Company, New Delhi, 2003.
- “Globlization and Employment : The Process of Reforms in India” , in S. N. Mishra, et. al. (Ed.) Public Governance and Decentralisation, Mittal Publications, New Delhi, 2003.
- “Children Labour Without Alternatives”, International Politics and Society, Bonn, 3/2001.
- “The Elimination of Child Labour in the Carpet Belt of North India: Possible NGO and Trade Union Strategies”, in Klaus Voll (ed.) Against Child Labour, Indian and International Dimensions and Strategies, Mosaic Books and Third Millennium Transparency, New Delhi, 1999.
- “Use of Child Labour in Carpet Industry : Analysis from Economic Perspective of the Industry”, (with Deborah Levison, Richard Anker and Sandhya Barge) in Richard Anker et.al. (ed.), Economics of Child Labour, CORT, 1998.
- “Child Labour in India- A Case of Glass Industry in Ferozabad, Uttar Pradesh”, (with Deborah Levison, Richard Anker and Sandhya Barge) in Richard Anker et.al. (ed.) Economics of Child Labour, CORT 1998.
- “Gender Differentials and the Special Vulnerability of Women”, (with Peter Godwin), in Peter Godwin (ed.) The Looming Epidemic: The Impact of HIV and AIDS in India, Mosaic Books, New Delhi, 1998.
- “Carpet Industry and Elimination of Child Labour”, Labour and Development, No. 1, Vol. 2, July- December 1996.
- “Is Child labour Really Necessary in India’s Carpet Industry”, (with Deborah Levison, Richard Anker and Sandhya Barge) Labour Market Papers 15, ILO, Geneva, 1996.
Research and Project Skills
- Conceptualizations and formulation of projects, workshops and preparation of project documents.
- Management and execution of field surveys- baseline surveys, monitoring and evaluation studies.
- Analysis of Industrial structure and financial data.
- Team Member on India and China Financial Regulations: A Comparative Study, for ICRIER, 2007.
- Principal Investigator for Project, Promoting Optimal Inter-pregnancy Interval in India through Integrated Public Delivery Systems in collaboration with Population Council and funded by USAID, 2007.
- Prepared status report of Child Labour in Carpet Industry for Friedrich Ebert Stiftung, New Delhi, 2000.
- Prepared reports and project documents on Child Labour in Tea Industry for ILO, New Delhi, 1999.
- Formulated and organized National Workshop on Trade Unions and the Elimination of Child Labour, and prepared the background paper for ILO, New Delhi, 1998.
- Conceptualized and designed project on HIV/AIDS and Industry with UNDP, New Delhi, 1997.
- Review of secondary data and report preparation on HIV/AIDS and Gender Differentials, for Peter Godwin, UNDP, New Delhi, 1997.
- Prepared report on the Experience of a Major Carpet Exporter in Eliminating Child Labour while Maintaining Profitability for ILO, New Delhi, 1995.
- Team member for Training of Investigators and Management of Field Survey, in Innovations in Family Planning Programme in Madhya Pradesh, for IPPF and CORT,Vadodra, 1995.
- Team member in the project, Economics of Child Labour with ILO, Geneva. Responsible for field survey, training of investigators, data analysis and report writing for carpet and glass industries in Uttar Pradesh, 1993-94.
- Presented a Paper on, "Corporate Governance, Environmental Record and Market Valuation of Companies" at National Environment Policy (NEP)-2006: Objectives, Strategies and Implementation, on 20-21 February,2007.
- Presented a Paper on "Foreign Institutional Investments in the Indian Equity Market: A Firm Level Analysis" (with Khan Masood Ahmad and Shahid Ahmed), at the 41st Indian Econometric Conference, Jadavpur University, Calcutta, India, 20-22, January, 2005.
- Presented a Paper on "Industrial Growth, Labour Market and Economic Reforms in India", at Implications of Globalization on Indian Economy, Department of Economics, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi, 1-2, March, 2001.
- Presented the Background Paper at "National Consultation with Trade Unions for Developing Projects on the Elimination of Child Labour Under IPEC in India", (with M.P. Joseph) at ILO sponsored Workshop, New Delhi, 25-27, May, 1998.
Member of Academic/ Government Bodies
- Member, Finance Committee, South Asian University, New Delhi.
- Member, Central Direct Taxes Advisory Committee (CDTAC), Ministry of Finance, Government of India.
- Member, Committee of Studies, Faculty of Law, JMI.
- Member, BOS, Department of Commerce and Business Studies, JMI
- Member, Governing Body, Sri Aurobindo College, DU.
- Member, Governing Body, Keshav Mahavidyalaya, DU.