Dr S. M. Sajid
Department of Social Work,
Jamia Millia Islamia,
New Delhi - 110025
91-011-26980337 (Direct No.)
Academic Qualifications :
- Doctor of Philosophy in Social Work from Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi (India), 1994. The thesis entitled “A comparative Study of Muslim and Scheduled caste Students in Institutions of Higher Learning” explored the relationship between class background of the students and their educational performance, educational and career aspirations, perceptions of discrimination and modernity.
- Diploma in Labor Laws from Indian Law Institute, New Delhi (India), 1985.
- Masters in Social Work from Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi (India), 1981.
- Bachelor of Arts with Economics and Political Science from University of Delhi (India), 1979.
Professional Experience :
- At present associated with the Department of Social Work, Jamia Millia Islamia (Central University), New Delhi, (India), as a Professor.
- Have been serving the same organization as a Lecturer (Assistant Professor) and subsequently as a Reader (Associate Professor) since 1988.
- Project Officer with the Department of Adult and Continuing Education and Extension, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi (India) w.e.f. July 1985 to November 1988.
- Extension Assistant with the Department Of Social Work, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi (India) w.e.f December 1982 till July 1985.
- Jr. Officer (Personnel) with the Institute of History of Medicine and Medical Research, New Delhi w.e.f. June 1981 till December 1982.
The association with the Department of Social Work, Jamia Millia Islamia involved the following responsibilities:
Teaching: A total of over 20 years of teaching experience both at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Conducted courses such as Community Work and Social Action, Social Research and Welfare Administration, Social welfare Management, Economic and Political Institutions, Human Resource Development, Human Rights and Social Justice, Theory and Practice of Communication and Organization Theory and Process.
Field Work: As Director Field Work and Placements (1996-98) designed field-training practicum in social work and human resource management. Developed monitoring and evaluation tools for the fieldwork program. Coordinated the field training activities with collaborators that included colleagues within the department, NGO, s, governmental institutions and industries.
Research: Guiding research at the doctoral level in the area of organizational behavior, organizational development and human resource management.
Member, Research Committee of the Department of Social works, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi (1998-2000 & 2005 onwards). The committee screen, review and help in the improvement of doctoral research proposals and undertakes steps to streamline the doctoral research program of the university.
Refresher courses for Social Work Educators: Designed and conducted refresher courses for social work educators in Field Work Training.
Seminars and Workshops: Designed and conducted seminars and workshops for educators and practitioners in social work, social sciences and human resource management on a variety of themes including University Autonomy, Social Conflicts, Media and Human Rights, Curriculum Designing in Peace and Conflict studies; Human Resource management; and Development Communication.
Educational Camping: Organized rural work camps for the students of social work with a view to familiarize them with rural life and to develop their group living skills and organizational capacities.
Major Assignments Handled Recently:
- A study on “ Understanding Religion for Peace Building” – A study of Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Jainism and Sikhism. The Royal Norwegian Embassy, New Delhi, funds the project.
- A study on “Role of Madarasa Education in Mainstreaming Muslims into Educational System” sponsored by the National Commission for Religious and Linguistic Minorities (Ministry of Minority Affairs, GOI)
- Served as consultant for rehabilitation and resettlement assessment for Asian Development Bank funded National Highway Authority of India project in Kanpur. The assignment involved study of the social impact of the highway project on the affected population, minimize adverse impact and suggest resettlement and rehabilitation strategies.
- Conducted a survey of a cross section of Muslims in India with reference to their self perception and others perceptions about Muslims with reference to factors responsible for social distance and exclusion.
- Co-edited a special issue on “Indian Muslims; Present and Future of a reputed vernacular magazine “Hans” (Hindi), August, 2003.
- Directed a research project “Drug Abuse in Rural Areas” sponsored by United Nations International Drug Control Program (UNDCP), Regional Office for South Asia, New Delhi.
- Completed a minor research project entitled “Preparing a Manual for Field Training for Social Work Educators". The document is in the final stages.
- Served as a member of a team of Consultants to prepare project document of the Govt. of India and ILO sponsored “International Program of Elimination of Child Labor” (IPEC) for Sivakasi and Tirupur, Tamil Nadu.
- Designed and directed a training workshop for AIESEC representatives on “Corporate Social Responsibility” in collaboration with India Business and Community Partnership Trust (Prince of Wales Business Leaders Forum, UK).
- Conducted a rapid appraisal of “Madrasah Education and Informal Centers of Religious Learning of Muslims in Delhi” for the Institute of Social Analysis and Social Communications, New Delhi (sponsored by Agha Khan Foundation, India, New Delhi).
- Served as a consultant for Agha Khan Foundation for the assessment of organizational capacities for modernization of Madrasah education in Bijnore (U.P).
- Attended TOT on SARAR methodology of training for rural water supply and sanitation, as a member of training team representing PRERNA (CEDPA ASSOCIATE) New Delhi, held at Lucknow and conducted by World Bank Consultant on SARAR.
- Served as a Training Consultant and Core Trainer for Prerna (CEDPA Associate), New Delhi for World Bank – Govt. of Uttar Pradesh project on “Rural Water Supply"
- Served as Convener, Core Group on “Peace and Conflict Resolution” formed by the university in 2001 to initiate the process of establishing a Center for Peace and Conflict Resolution at the university. The center finally got established in 2003-04 and undertakes teaching, research, capacity building and documentation on Peace, Conflicts, Conflict resolution and related issues. Served as the Hony. Director of the centre for two years
- Served as Officer on Special Duty at the AJK Mass Communication Research center of the university. The center is a premier institution imparting Mass Communication education, undertaking research and production of educational video programs, audio-visual and documentary films. The responsibility involved overall supervision of entire administrative function, human resource function, training and development, academic development, networking and development of research function. The assignment resulted in developing and launching of a PG Diploma in Development Communication with funding support from the Ford Foundation, besides other outcomes.
- Also served as Media Coordinator, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi as an additional charge. The responsibility involved liaison with the print and electronic media on behalf of the university, briefing the press and issuing press releases on matters of interest to the university and media and introduction and editing the house journal of the university.