In pursuance of the NPE–1986 UGC had launched the Academic Staff College scheme in 1987, taking into cognisance the beneficial experience of different countries which initiated “Staff Development Programmes” for promoting quality of higher education.
The ASC at Jamia Millia Islamia was established in 1987 with 100% funding of all its activities/training programmes by the UGC.
The ASC is expected to develop an understanding among the college and university teachers of the environment they are working in and also provide an insight into pedagogy and psychology of learning and educational technology and help them communicate more effectively with their students.
Academic Staff College organizes two major types of programmes viz. General Orientation Courses and subject specific Refresher Courses.
The Orientation Courses serve the following objectives:-
- Bring awareness among the college and University teachers of the linkages between education and society.
- Help teachers acquire/sharpen basic skills of teaching to promote effective teaching-learning process in the class room.
- Encourage and guide them to develop healthy personality
- Make them appreciate the issues involved in the management of colleges and universities and motivate them to take extension services including student counseling.
The Refresher Courses are organised with the objective to keep college and university teachers updated about the latest developments in the field of knowledge and encouraging them to undertake quality research. Besides these two regular programmes. ASC also organises short orientation programmes for college principals and need-based courses for teachers, administrative and support staff and research scholars.
Academic Staff College at Jamia organises a variety of academic programmes for University/College teachers, Group A, B and C staff and research scholars. These are as follows
- General Orientation Programme
- Subject Specific Refresher Courses
- Interdisciplinary Refresher Courses
- Principals’ Workshop
- Short Term Programme for Professors and Associate Professors.
- Professional Development Programmes for Administrative Staff (Group- A, B & C)
- Interaction program for Research Scholars
- Programme for ASC Refresher Course Coordinators
The Orientation Courses are of 4 – weeks duration and Refresher Courses of 3 - weeks duration. Other Short term programmes vary from 2 days to one week.
The ASC, Jamia has organised more than 100 Orientation Programs and 200 Refresher Courses by 2012 which were attended by more than 4000 and 6000 participants respectively. Many short term programs for Sr. Faculty, Principle/ HOD, group “B” and “C” and research scholars were also conducted.
Refresher Courses have been organized in different disciplines such as English, Urdu, Hindi, Arabic, Persian, Comparative Literature, History, Political Science, Human Rights, Geography, Commerce, West Asian Studies, Education, Chemistry, Mathematics, Fine Arts, Environmental Studies, Peace and Conflict Studies, Management, Economics, Computer Science, Library & Information Sciences, Gender Studies and Bio-Sciences.