Prof. Mohammad Zulfequar is looking-after the functioing of the Centre (Office Order).
Nanotechnology is a fast emerging field having vast potential for applications in the 21st century in all possible areas varying from engineering to medical and various other frontiers of science and technology. It is believed that nanotechnology may not only challenge various existing postulates of natural sciences, but also create new concepts for several unknown phenomena which might manifest in due course of time. Every aspect of life will be benefited by this advanced technological revolution, which is already under way with its amazing applications in Physics, Chemistry, Materials, Engineering, Biotechnology and Medicine etc.
Keeping in view of the importance of Nanotechnology, Jamia Millia Islamia has started a new Centre, namely the Centre for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. The mission of this Centre is to promote forefront basic and applied research in the fields of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, with potential applications towards fulfilling national strategic needs. The main research focus of the Centre includes Nano-fabrication & Nano-device, Nano-materials & Nano-structures, Nano-biotechnology & Nano-medicine, Nano-structure characterization & measurements.
The Centre will work with the following objectives:
- To create a dynamic teaching and research atmosphere that will promote interaction and synergies among the different groups of scientists working in the field of Nanoscience & Nanotechnology.
- To attract researchers from diverse fields of research such as Physics, Chemistry, Applied Sciences as well as Engineering and Medicine. This vibrant environment will attract world-renowned Nanoscience and Nanotechnology researchers.
- To establish facilities that will give researchers access to advanced scientific equipment for characterization and preparation of nanomaterials for Nanotechnology applications.
- To provide a dynamic focal point for the development of future high-tech industries in India.
- The Centre plans to start an M. Tech (Nanotechnology) Course. The Centre will also have its own Ph.D. program in different fields of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology.
- The vision of the Centre is to turn students into the future generation of leadership of high technology research and industry in India, and that nanotechnology industries in India to become world leaders in the field.
- To create and provide opportunities for international exchange of scientists and students, and make collaborative arrangements within India, particularly for those who are deprived of such facilities.
- To conduct seminars/workshops/conferences/extension lectures to promote Nanoscience & Nanotechnology in India.
- The Centre will undertake summer school programs for graduate and post- graduate students to create awareness about recent developments in nanotechnology.
- The Centre will establish joint collaborative programs with the up-coming industries in the field of Nanotech
The Centre will initially focus in the following thrust areas of research:
- Nanostructures, Carbon Nanotubes, Semiconducting Nanowires, quantum dots.
- Polymer Nanocomposites.
- Catalysis Nanoscience.
- Modeling and simulation.