Department of Sociology,
Jamia Millia Islamia,
New Delhi - 110025
Bachelor of Arts in Sociology
Master of Arts in Sociology
Department of Sociology, Delhi School of Economics, Delhi University
Master of Philosophy (M. Phil)
Department of Chinese and Japanese Studies, Delhi University
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph. D)
Department of Sociology, Delhi University
- Reader (Associate Professor), Department of Sociology, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi.
- 1993 onwards
- Department of Sociology Jamia Millia Islamia New Delhi
- Courses taught for masters program
- Society in India-Structure, Agency and Change
- Research Methodology-Theory and Practice
- Working on a new course-Anthropology – Theory and Practice
- Courses taught at undergraduate program
- Sociological Theory
- Techniques of research Investigation
- Indian Sociology
- Country Faculty for Indigenous Perspectives and Global Ecology Courses organized by the International Honours Program Boston USA
- Traveling Faculty (Anthropological Field Methods and Theory) Rethinking Globalization, course organized by International Honors Program Boston, USa
- 2001-2006, 2008
- Visiting Faculty Department of Conservation Architecture, School of Planning and Architecture Delhi
- 1999-2006, 2008
- Visiting Faculty National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad, Gujarat
Edited, Between the Sky and the Earth-Penguin Book of Forest Writings, Penguin India
Tribal forest-Dwellers and Self-Rule-the Constituent Assembly Debates on the 5th and 6th Schedules, New Delhi, Indian Social Institute.
- Compiled and Edited Human Rights – The Grassroots Dimension (Essays by Inder Mohan), DK Publishers, Delhi
- Culture, Creative Opposition and Alternative Development : Sustaining Struggle in the Koel-Karo valleys along with AR Vasavi, Smitu Kothari (forthcoming)
- PESA: De-centering the Political Economy
- Empowerment Tribal culture and the global context (Manohar Publications)
Research Communicated : Publications
Deforestation, Nature and Conservation-An Indeginous discourse in Contemporary Perspectives-History and Sociology of South Asia Vol 2 No. 2 July-December.
Tribal People, Swaraj, swadeshi and Ecology in http://www.saded.in/ethnicityadivasi.htm
Community and Common, lecture-text for Indira Gandhi National Open University – IGNOU
The Making of the Tribal Question Elwin and Ghurye, lecture-text for Indira Gandhi National Open University – IGNOU
Rights, Globalization and Governance in Alpjan Vol VI no 1, October-December
Dalit Studies : Exploring Criteria for New Discipline in Economic and Political Weekly Vol XXXIX No 17 April 24, 2004.
Basic and Higher Social Education in Karuna Chanana ed Transformative LinksBetween Higher and Basic Education, New Delhi, Sage Publications.
What Skills can students acquire from Social Sciences (with Mohammad Talib) in Maitrayee Chaudhuri ed The Practice of Sociology. New Delhi, Orient Longman.
Conflicts and Conservation in Seminar No 530, October
The Sprit of Sikhi for Nomination Dossier of Harimandir Shaib for inclusion on the UNESCO World Heritage List Vol 1, prepared by Cultural Resource Conservation Initiative, Delhi.
Harimandir Sahib A Unique Example of Veranacular Architecture for Nomination Dossier of Harimandir Sahib for inclision on the UNESCO World Heritage List Vol 1, prepared by Cultural Resource Conservation Initiative, Delhi.
An Architecture in Dissent for Nomination Dossier of Harimandir Sahib for inclusion on the UNESCO World Heritage List Vol 1, prepared by Cultural Resource Conservation Initiative, Delhi.
Indigenous people and their Life Support Systems in our Fragile World Challenges and opportunities for Sustainable Development, Paris UNESCO.
Who are the Forest Dwellers and where are the Tribals’ in Susan Vishwanathan ed. Structure and Transformation-Theory and Society in India New Delhi Oxford University Press.
The Sage Forest in India International Centre Quarterly
Sapangaada : A Kujnka Living Space, in Nandini Sundar & Roger Jeffery ed New Moral economyfor India’s Forest? Discourse of Community and Participation, New Delhi. Sage Publications.
Towards a Sense of Belonging : A Cultural Perspective on the Future of Development and Displacement in The Administrator January – march Vol XLIII No 1
Unlearning fieldwork: A flight of an Arctic Tern in, Meenakshi Thapar (ed.) Anthropological Journey – Reflections on Fieldwork, New Delhi Orien Longmans
Peoples Movement and Concern for Alternatives in, Mainstream 34 (353), August.
Tribal self Rule and the Legal Constitutional Frame for, Update, Delhi Forum, Delhi.
Children and our Future in, Administrator October.
Deforestation and rights of Nature – A study of Tiger and the Honey – Bee in Simplipal in, Corinne Kumar, R.L. Kumar Madhu Bhushan & A.L. George Kutty Sacred Mountains Everywhere – Essays on the Violence of Universalisms, India, Streetlekha.
Tiger and the Honey – Bee in, Seminar Nov (423)
A Study in the Sociology of Agriculture. (a study of shifting cultivation in Abujhmarh Bastar, M.P.) Ph.D. thesis Department of Sociology, Delhi.
Alternative system of Knowledge : Fields and forests in Abujhmarth in Tariq Banuri and Frederique Margtin. Ed. Who will Save the Forest? Knowledge, Power and Environmental Destruction, Zed Books.
Modemization and Tribal Identity in Seminar Nov (387)
Politics and Cultural Change – A Study of Model Opera Shachiapang. M.Phil Dissertation submitted to Department of Chinese and Japanese Studies, Delhi University.
Research Communicated : Lectures, Seminars, Workshops and Conferences
- Lecture Development and Conflict for Refreshers Course Nelson Mandela Center for Peace and Conflict Resolution organized by Academic Staff College Jamia Millia Islamia, Delhi.
- Lecture Society and Culture for Refreshers Course Hindi Department organized by Academic Staff College Jamia Millia Islamia, Delhi.
- Public Talk Glimpses of Shringar Bhum Organised by South Asia Dialogue on Ecological Democracy, Delhi.
- Lecture on Anthropology and Globalization to students of Rethinking Globalization to students of India part of the Program
- Lecture on Decommissioning and Writing without the for Rethinking Globalization New Zealand part of the Program IHP
- Discussion on Frugality, Resilience and Mutuality for Rethinking Globalization New Zealand part of the Program IHP
- Lecture on ‘Possibility’ – Marx, Waber and Durkheim, to students of Rethinking Globalization New Zealand part of the Program IHP
- Three Lectures on Social Theory, Community Participation and Conservation students of Conservation Architecture School of Planning and Architecture New Delhi.
- Three lectures on Sociology of Development to Trainees at Pradhan – New Delhi.
- Religion Dissent and Society-Semiotics of Harimandir Sahib (Golden Temple) public lecture delivered at the Department of Sociology Pune university.
- Inter-Religious Dialogue and Healing paper to be presented at workshop on ‘Wounded Histories and Social Healing’ organized by Department of Philosophy Delhi University, Developing Countries Research Center Delhi University and Vidya Jyoti Delhi
- Lecture on ‘Social Construct’, to students of Rethinking Globalisation New Zealand part of the Program IHP
- Lecture on ‘Possibility’-Marx, Weber and Durkheim, to students of Rethinking Globalisation Mexico part of the Program IHP
- Lecture on Writing without the ‘I’ Rethinking Globalisation to students of Mexico part of the Program IHP
- Lecture on Gandhi-the Student and the teacher, to APPO leaders (abbreviation for Teachers Union) Oaxaca Mexico
- Short Paper ‘Theoretical Thinking in Sociology/Social Anthropology’ at Conference on ‘Theorizing Children’s Participation’ organized by Edinburg University
- Visiting Faculty at Department of Sociology University of Pune under the UGC-DSA-Visiting Faculty Programme
- Presentation on Indigenous Agriculture at Workshop on Traditional/Indigenous Knowledge : Workshop on Shaping an Introductory Course at IIT Delhi
- Panelist for People in Parks : An Appraisal of Relocation from Sariska Tiger Reserve and Implications for Wildlife a report prepared by Conservation Environmental Studies Group of the Council for Social Development.
- Lecture, the management of natural resources in India-Traditions shaped by localized ecological, moral even spiritual considerations – A debate on whether the wider environmental degradation can be attributed to the centralized bureaucratic governance systems in place today, at Challenge of the balance : Learning the practice of environmental management in India-Orientation programme for Oslo University Students organized by the Center of Science and Environment CSE Delhi.
- Religion Dissent and Society-Semiotics of Harimandir Sahib(Golden Temple) public lecture to be delivered at the Department of Sociology Pune University.
- Discussant for one Session in a seminar on Making Conservation Work : Attempting Solutions to Biodiversity Loss in India, organized by Environmental Studies Group of the Council for Social Development Delhi.
- Discussant for Papers presented at Workshop on Living Together in Asian Cities at Center for the Study of Developing Societies New Delhi
- Seminar presentation on Ethnography at Department of Social Work Delhi University, Delhi
- Seminar presentation on Indeginious Knowledge at Center for Studies in Science Policy Jawaharlal Nehru University New Delhi
- Seminar presentation on Conservation and Field work at the center for the Study of Social Systems Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
- Lecture on Nature, Sources and Types of Conflict at Department of Education Psychology, National Council for Educational Research and Training (NCERT) New Delhi.
- Lecture on Inter-cultural Harmony at Department of Education Psychology, national Council for Educational Research and Training (NCERT) New Delhi.
- Lecture The Indigenous Question Historical Perspective for course on Indigenous Perspective Program, International Honors Program Boston University. The Lecture was delivered in New Delhi.
- Paper Presented on Blind men and the Elephant-Conservation, Conflict and Identity. Kamala Nehru College, New Delhi
- Taught course on Research methodology for one year Diploma Course conducted by Nelson Mandela Center for Peace Resolution Jamia Millia Islamia.
- Lecture on Fieldwork for course on Rethinking Globalization, International Honors Program Boston university. The lecture was delivered in Shillong Meghalaya
- Lecture on Tribal Situation in India for course on Indigenous Perspectives International Honors Program coordinated by Boston University. The lecture was delivered in Shillong Meghalaya.
- Lecture on research Methodology at Council for Social Development, New Delhi.
- Lecture on Participatory research Refresher Course Students at Academic Staff College Jawaharlal Nehru University Delhi
- Participant in Workshop on Asian Social Movements held in Beijing organized by INSIST Indonesia, ICR India, IPD Philippines and Free University Beijing.
- Conducted a Workshop on Craft Documentation with Textile Design Students national Institute of Design Ahmedabad.
- Lecture on Center on Conservation and Field Work at Center of Social Systems Jawaharlal Nehru University Delhi
- Presentation Conservation of Built Heritage-Questions and Answers form the field at a workshop organized by UNESCO Delhi
- Revitalizing Heritage Foot Print of Amritsar presentation at Heritage Festival Amritsar.
- Conservation and our Future-Some themes for discussion Presentation to Conservation Policy Group at INTACH Delhi.
- Lectures for One Semester on Sociology as Praxis for Science and Liberal Arts Students at Indian Institute of technology Delhi.
- Paper on Sociology Curriculum : Beyond Modernity as a Pedagogic Device, at Workshop on Curriculum Design organized by Department of Sociology Pune University. Conducted one-week course Perspectives on India society for Foundation Program at National Institute of Design Ahmedabad.
- Panel Discussant in Seminar on Elementary Education-Shaping A Visio” organized by Lady Shri Ram College New Delhi.
- Presentation on Basic Education and social sciences at Workshop on ‘Transformative Links of Higher education With Basic Education : Mapping the field organized by department’ of Zakir Husain Centre for Educational Studies School of Social Sciences JNU New Delhi.
- Presentation on Sociology : A Biographical Experience” at ‘Refreshers Course in Sociology’ organized by Academic Staff College JNU, New Delhi.
- Lecture on Cultural Heritage Conservation for Orientation Course in Sociology organized by Academic Staff College JNU, New Delhi.
- One week course on Society and culture in India Course for SLA program, for AEP first Semester at National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad.
- Paper title Globalisation, environment and sustainability presented at a workshop on ‘Globalisation and its Impact on India’ organized by the department of Economics, Jamia Millia Islamia New Delhi.
- Tribal people in the Contemporary World? At Max Mulluer Bhawan Bangalore
- Participant in a panel discussion Nature and Problems of India Society Implications for Social work Profession as part of the ‘Orientation programme for M.A. Social Work (Previous)’, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi.
- The Search for a Democratic Space-Some Themes and Questions for Discussion, paper for a Workshop on ‘In Search of Democratic Spaces’ organized by Lokayan.
- Tribals and Ecological Problems. Lecture to Undergraduate students from the U.S.A. as part of the Global Ecology Programme, organized by lokayan.
- Towards a Perticipative Sociology Lecture to the 30th Orientation Course (Social Sciences) at, the Academic Staff College, Jawaharlal Nehru University.
- Shifting Cultivation : the Significance of a Tradition of Work in the Light of the Environmental Crisis paper for a workshop on ‘understanding values: A Comparative study of Values in Environmental Policy making China, India, Japan and the States’. Organized by Carnegie council on ethics and International Affairs in New York.
- Towards A Sense of Belonging : A cultural Perspective on the future of development and Displacement paper at Workshop on ‘Displacement and Rehabilitation in India : future Perspectives’, organized at the Lal Bahadur Shahstri Academy for Administration
- Learning to experiment lecture written for Indira Gandhi Open University course on Participatory Forest Management
- The Environmental Crisis and the Question concerning Tradition paper for workshop on ‘Work, Productivity and nature’ organized by Dept. of Sociology, Jamia Millia Islamia and National Institute of science Technology and Development.
- Ecology, History and Tradition paper for ‘Conference on Ecological history And Tradition’, organized by Centre for science and Environment, New Delhi.
- Sapangada – a Kujanka Living space paper for ‘Workshop on discourse on joint Forest Management’ Organised by Edinburg University at India International Centre, New Delhi.
- Four lectures on Design Process and social science in the Indian Social context for Science and Liberal Arts students at national Institute of Design, Ahmedabad.
- Participant in National Conference/seminar of study Group on Community and Cooperation in tribal Areas, held at NCDC, Hauz Khas organized by ‘Ministry of Agriculture and Co-operation, Department of Agriculture and Co-operation’, Government of India.
- Discussant for Session – I on ‘Ecology and Development’ in, Workshop on ‘Ecology and Development’ at, Indian social Institute, New Delhi
- Coordinator for Group – I on Strategies for Coverage of Tribal and Dalit Children at a workshop on Excellence in Primary Schooling at, Lal Bahadur Shastri national Academy for administration (LBSNNA), Mussoorie
- Deforestation and rights of nature – A Study of Tiger and the Honey – Bee in Simplipal, paper submitted to Asian Women Human Rights Council (AWHRC) for presenting at NGO forum of the 4th world Conference on Women, in Beijing China.
- Ability and Identity – Biodiversity crisis, Universe of the Forest and Forest Dwellers, paper submitted to Second congress on Traditional Sciences and Technologies of India: Session on Biodiversity – Anna University, Madras.
- Discourse analysis Lecture delivered at National institute of Public cooperation and child development as part of an Orientation course on Qualitative Method in Social sciences.
- The forest as a Living Space – A study of Sapangada (a Kuttia Khond description of a forest space) Seminar presented at Teen Murti Memorial Library and Museum.
- Science and Shifting cultivation paper presented at a workshop held in on ‘Science, technology and Medicine’ at the Centre for the Study fo Developing Societies, New Delhi.
- Agriculture and Social Structure presented at a workshop held on ‘Development and Technological Transformation in Traditional Societies: Alternative Approaches organized by UNU/WIDER at Helsinki Finland.
Positions in Committees
Coordinator Curriculum revision committee at the Department of Sociology Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
Member Committee on Gender Policy Jamia Millia Islamia New Delhi
Member Board of Management Committee Nelson Mandela Center for Peace and Conflict resolution Jamia Millia Islamia.
Member core group to set up Nelson Mandela Center for Peace keeping and Conflict resolution
Member National Focus Group on Problems of Scheduled Castes & Scheduled Tribes Children constituted by the National Council of Education research and Training New Delhi.
Member Core group-Sociology Curriculum for Class XI and XII NCERT.
Member interview Committee Rhodes Scholarship.
Member Editorial Committee for book ‘Conservation Practices for Cultural Heritage (Architectural0) in India’ for Cultural Conservation research.
- 2000 – 2004
Consultant for Bhoomika Creative Dance Centre for Research and Documentation of ‘Uday Shankar and the Modern Dance Movement in India’
Consultant for project Cultural Heritage and the promotion of understanding in Punjab as part of the culture of Peace Program of the UN, for Cultural Resource conservation Initiative (CRCI)
- 1999 – 2000
Consultant for Capacity and Institution Building for the Sustainable Development of Tarangam, at Orchha Jhansi, Madhya Pradesh for Development Alternatives, Delhi.
Consultant Trajectory For the Establishment of A Vertical Shaft Brick Kiln (BSBK) At Sourapalli, Orissa for Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation
Participant in working group on Gram Sabha Empowerment and Tribal Self – Governance, organized jointly by Lokyan and project on panchayati Raj and Empowering Gram Sabhas, National Society for Promotion of Development Administration, Research and Training, Mussoorie.
Coordinator / consultant (2 months) for a report on Status of Forest Labour in India for National Center for Labor Delhi
- 1993 - 1995
Coordinator for course on Participatory Sociology at Department of Sociology Jamia Millia Islamia
- 1996 - 1997
Member Editorial Board Update Quarterly from Delhi Forum, Delhi
Consultant for report on Learning and pedagogy in Social Science at Centre for Education and Communication, Delhi.
Consultant for Study on child prostitution in Delhi, for R B Charitable Trust Sponsored by National Commission for Women. The report is published under the title Lost childhood.
- 1992 – 93
Research Team Leader for field work on Man & Forest in Phulbani and Mayurbhanj Districts in Orissa. This research was sponsored by Dr. Klaus Seeland of Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich. The research was routed through The Universe Cuttak.
Undertook benchmark field study Primary Education and Non-formal Education in a village in Champaran District Bihar for Union Ministry of Human Resource Development, for the programme title Bihar Education Project (BEP).
Undertook a study on Sharda Sadan Pustakalaya Lalganj, Vaishali Bihar for Union Ministry for Human Resource Development
Consultant to National Council for Applied Economic Research (NCAER) for study on shifting Cultivation