International Conference on The Russian Factor in Central Asia Culture at Jamia
February 27, 2012
Press Release: International Conference on “The Russian Factor in Central Asia Culture” at Jamia
The UGC Central Asia Studies Programme at the Academy of International Studies, Jamia Millia Islamia is organizing a 2-day international conference on “Russian Factor in Central Asian Culture” on 28 – 29 February 2012.
The Inaugural Session is slated to be held on February 28, 2012 at 10 AM in the India-Arab Cultural Centre, Jamia Millia Islamia.
Ambassador TCA Rangachari, Director of Academy of International Studies, JMI will deliver the welcome address.
Mr. Ajay Bisaria, Joint Secretary, Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India, New Delhi will be the Special Guest on this occasion.
Prof. Madhavan Palat will deliver the Key-note address on this occasion on “Russia and Central Asia Since the Fifteenth Century”.
Prof. S.M. Rashid, Pro Vice-Chancellor, Jamia Millia Islamia will be Chair the session.
Some of the most eminent people from the field of culture from Russia and Central Asia will be here:
* Award-winning writers
- Andrei Volos: Author of Hurramabad, Winner of the 1998 Anti-Booker Award.
- Evgeniy Abdullaev ‘Sukhbat Aflatuni’, Poet and Prose Writer, Author of Indian Poems, The Tashkent Novel, Winner of several awards.
* Editors of Journals
- Natalya Ivanova from Znamya
- Maria Remizova from Oktyabr
- Aleksandr Ebanoidze from Druzhba Narodov
- Irina Kovaleva from Voprosy Literatury
- Prof Saida Elemanova: Musicologist and expert on Intangible Heritage.
- Prof Roza Amanova: Dastanchi, traditional singer, recipient of state and other awards.
- Dr Diloram Karamat: Specialist on Uzbek, Central Asian and Indian music.
* Film Scholar
- Gulnara Abikeyeva: Author of several books on Central Asian Cinema, Artistic Director of the biggest film festival in Central Asia.
- Lyudmila Saraskina: Expert on Dostoevsky and Solzhenitsyn.
- Natalya Gromova: Expert on the period of Evacuation during World War II and on the great poetess, Marina Tsvetaeva.
* Experts on Society, Politics and Culture
- Prof Gasan Guseinov: Eminent writer on culture.
- Prof Sergei Serebriany: Indologist, translator, knows Hindi, Sanskrit.
- Davlat Khudonazarov: Filmmaker turned Human Rights Activist.
- Farkhod Tolipov: Expert on International Relations.
There will several eminent scholars from the field of international relations, culture, literature from India as well.
There will also be special presentations by
- Actress Meeta Vasisth on Working with Russian and Central Asian Classics.
- Dhruv Sangari on India, Central Asia: Lineages of Sufi Music.
- Navina Jafa on The Central Asian Antecedents of Kathak.
The conference will focus on the interactions between Russia and the Central Asian region for centuries and particularly on the XIX and XX centuries. Participants will also discuss the new political and cultural scenarios in the post-Soviet context.
All are cordially invited.
Jamia Millia Islamia