PhD (Science Education)
University- JMI, ND.
Certificate course in Video Production
MCRC, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
Prepared two short films.
Film "Never Say Die" Was rated as best film
Diploma in Museology
National Museum, New Delhi
*Submitted a dissertation,
"Educational Activities in Museum", (Awarded for Best Dissertation)
Aligarh Muslim University
* Division - I st
I st Position
Division - I st
IInd Position in Teaching
Division – IInd
(Botany, Zoology, Chemistry)
Division – IInd
(Hindi, Biology Physics, Chemistry & G. English,)
UP board, Allahabad
Division – IInd
(English, Hindi, Math’s, Biological Science& Physical Science)
UP Board, Allahabad
Division - I st
*Distinction in Math’s
Received Merit scholarship
*A Study of differential effectiveness of teaching through visual and process approaches on attainment of science concepts and acquisition of process skills at elementary level.
Skills in ICT
- 2001-2003: Learnt Ms Excel at my own initiative for analyzing the data, analyzed the data for Ph.D. using Ms. Excel
- 2002: Attended a three week course organized by INTEL: Acquaintance acquired in Microsoft power point presentation, Microsoft publisher, Microsoft word, browsing internet, prepared a multimedia presentation ii. News letter iii. Handout and Evaluation iv. Rubric for teacher support material v. Unit plan template June, 2002.
- 2004: Attended a two day work shop on Flash media, as feed back prepared web design for Jamia and IASE, submitted to Director ICT, JMI. 2004
Certificate for out standing participation in orientation program (June 1999)
- Merit scholarship in High school (1967) U.P. Board, Allahabad.
- B.Ed. 2nd position in teaching, (1980) Aligarh Muslim University.
- M.Ed 1st Position, Aligarh Muslim University.
- Certificate course in Museology : Awarded for the best dissertation entitled Educational Activities in a Museum.
Particulars of posts held at Jamia Millia Islamia
Date of joining the present post
Lecturer in Education 1990 -1998
Senior Lecturer and Reader in Education 1998 -2006
Associate professor in Education (Paper Work) till date
Lecturer: Teaching of Biology and Lecturer in- service IASE, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi.( !983)
Particulars of post held outside Jamia Millia Islamia
- 1993 and 1994: Faculty Assistant: June1993 to August 1993 and June 1994 to August 1994, Department of South East Asian Studies, University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA.$ 5000 Consolidated) On the basis of students evaluation appointment was given in the next session.( Students evaluation attached
- 1992: Program Specialist: August 1992 to June1993, Shorewood Hills School, Madison, Wisconsin, U SA ($ 5 per hour) July 20, 1990. (20 years)
Experience within the country;
- Museum Curator: Dec. 1976 to July 1990, Zakir Hussain College, University of Delhi. Grade Rs. 550-900
(i) July 1983 to Dec. 1983.
- Science Teacher: July 1973 - July 1975, Green House Public School, Kanpur, Rs 200/ Consolidated.
Specialization, if any
Areas of interest and experience of teaching and research in following subjects: Work Experience, Science Education, Educational Psychology, Teaching of primary Mathematics
Courses taught at post graduation level
B.Ed. and B.Ed Nursery
Primary/ Elementary Education
B.Ed (2004 – 2005)
Teaching of Biology:
B.Ed for the session 2003-2004
M.A. Planning and Administration M.Ed Elementary (1998-2000) at Department of Educational studies, JMI, B.ED 2006-2007
M.Ed Elementary (2001 -2003) at Department of Educational studies, JMI
M.ED Elementary (2007-2008) Department of Educational Studies
Courses taught at graduation level Work Experience; ETE 1st Year, ETE 2nd Year, (1990 - till date)
Teaching of Gen. Science: ETE, IST year, ETE, 2nd year
House Advisor: Organizing Co-Curricular activities
(i)B. Ed (ii) B. Ed. Nur. (iii) ETE Ist and II nd year.
Any other work related to teaching and examination Supervision and lesson planning
- Supervision of teaching practice, and simulated teaching, ETE 1st year (Mathematics), ETE 2nd year (science) and B.Ed. Nursery and B.Ed (Biology)
- Guidance in Lesson planning, B.Ed Biology, ETE IInd year science, ETE 1st Year Math’s
- Evaluation: pre service teachers for discussion lesson for following courses.
Examiner and paper setter
- Paper: Science Education for Postgraduate classes
- Paper: Teaching learning strategies for Postgraduate class
- Paper: Co Curricular Activities B.Ed
- Paper: Teaching of Biology, B.Ed
- Paper: Pre Primary Education (ETE) Paper: Work experience ETE
- Paper: Application oriented Mathematics Teaching
- Paper: Educational Psychology
Areas of specialization (Areas of interest): Work experience, Educational psychology, Science Education, Teaching of Biology, Teaching of Primary Mathematics
Research and publications, Research for projects
- Creating environmental Awareness Through street play, poster and slogan competition and preparation of audio cassette, Sponsored by Ministry of environment, 1995,Minor …………………………… (Completed)
- Preparation of Video Cassette "Learning through Games. Sponsored by: IASE, JMI. Minor, 1996-1997……… (Completed)
- Preparation of Teacher's manual for teaching science through activities at elementary level sponsored by IASE, 1999-2000, Minor (Incomplete)
- Preparation of "work experience teacher's manual using paper and cardboard". Sponsored by IASE , 2000-2001,Minor (Incomplete)
Academic publications: 1998-2006
- Rajan J Agnihotri R and Ali S (2009) Education as entitlement: The slippery slope of Right to Education Act 2009, Third Frame, Cambridge University press, Vol. 2, No -4, p 151-168
- Ali. S (2007). Constructivism, NCF and Inclusion in School, Presented a paper in a Seminar on : Issues in Inclusive Education of Children from Economically Diverse Backgrounds -Special Focus on the Proviso of Land Allotment to Private Schools March 29-30, 2007, NUEPA, New Delhi Published in proceedings of the seminar,
- Ali S, Mukherjee A and Rajan J (2006) Study of change in primary mathematics textbooks for Grade 3 in Delhi Municipal Schools ePISTEME -2 HBCSE, TIFR, Bombay p200 – 204 Published in the Proceedings of International Seminar
- Ali S, (2001), Education beyond Literacy, Quest for a Broader Perspective, Taleem, 2000-2001, Faculty of Education, Jamai Millia Islamia, New Delhi p29-32
- Ali S, (2001), Learning Lab, Taleem, 2002-2003, Faculty of Education, Jamai Millia Islamia, New Delhi
- Ali S, (2001) Teaching science through process approach: "A challenge we must accept." Teacher Education, Vol.35, No. 1, New Delh p i77-90
- Ali S, (2000 )Teaching life skills," A concern for the new millennium"Teacher Education Vol.34, No. 1, New Delhi p 59-70
- Mahmood S (1998) Work Experience, "Its role in Educational process" Article in book co - curricular activities in school edited by, Ikram Ahmad and Shakeel Akhtar Farooqui, Faculty of Education ,JMI, New Delhi p101-112
Publications forth coming:
- Critique on CABE committee on "Common School System
- Critique on CABE committee, on, Integration of Culture in school education ( Attached)
- Pedagogy of Environmental Education
- Hands-On and Visuals In Classroom Discourse A Comparative Study
- (Paper submitted to Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education, TIFR for international seminar, ePISTEME – 4, to be held in January 2011
- Crafting Grade 3 Mathematics Textbooks: SCERt (2004) and NCERT (2006
Supervision of students research work:
- 2009 :"Social Intelligence and Aggressive Behavior in relation to Classroom Climate among Upper Primary School Students of Delhi and Kerala".(Assigned for PhD work in 2009) (Co Guide – Prof Riaz Shakir Khan)
- 2008: Integration Of Ict In Teaching Learning Process In Secondary Schools: A Case Study Of Teheran ( Iranian Student for PhD , trying to get her visa processed) prepared synopsis under my supervision
- 2007: Role of the State vis-à-vis Sustainable Human Resource Development: A Case Study of Oman ( prepared synopsis under my guidance was given admission at Department of Educational Studies , I was Co Supervisor along with Prof Fardia Khan ) has withdrawn registration due to personal reasons the student is a Cultural Attaché at Oman Embassy
- 2009: M.A Dissertation, A Study of Understanding And Addressing Stress among Adolescents And Efficacy of Counseling
- 2001: *M. Ed dissertation (2001-2002)"A study of adjustment and interest of pupil teachers and their reasons for joining the ETE courses in DIET's of Delhi in relation to some background variable".
- 2000: *M.Ed. Dissertation – (2000-2001) "Efficacy of teaching science through activities as against conventional strategy vis-à-vis achievement, at elementary level".
- 1999: *M.Ed dissertation 1999. "Implementation of work experiences "A case study of Jamia middle school".
* Appointed as supervisor by Department of Educational studies
Represented Jamia Millia Islamia on Academic platforms at National and State level
- Member State Core Committee, Department of Education, NCT Delhi
- Councilor: Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi, Counseling students of LMT (Learning mathematics) and AMT (Application Oriented Mathematics Teaching) enrolled at IGNOU.
- (2002 –till date)
- 2010: Member Secretariat, All India Forum for Right to Education (AIF-RTE) till date
- 2006:Selected as a Member of the Janaki Rajan committee constituted by Shiela Dixit Hon’ble’ Chief Minister of Delhi, for sensitizing, private school teachers for integration of children of weaker section of the society in private schools, after the High Court decision , March 2006 – April 2006.
- 2006: Member of the team of resource persons appointed by MHRD ministry, Govt. of India, for orienting the principals of DIET for "Action research on MDM at SCERT, Ahmedabad, Gujrat . April 18 –April 19, 2006.
Presented Power point presentation on:
Provided hand’s on experiences to the participants on MS Excel.
Facilitated in preparing research proposal
Basics of Research methods,
Basics of Ms excel for analysis of the data
- 2006: Invited for Debates on NCF by Secretary Education, Department of Education, and Delhi Govt.
- 2006: Invited for a debate on integration of children from weaker section of society in public school by Secretary Education Department on Delhi Govt. March 2006
- 2005: Member Public Study Group (PSG) , Chair Prof, Anil SadGopal, for intervention in Central Advisory Board of Education (CABE) constituted by HRD ministry. September 2004 – June 2005
- 2004: Member of the committee of resource persons for, Orienting primary teachers for using recently published math’s text books, by SCERT on "Instructional strategies and evaluation "at nine DIETS of Delhi. Nine week training program (May 2004-june2004)organized by SCERT
Seminars, Conferences, workshops organized
- 2009: (Member secretariat, AIF RTE) Attended Rally Organized by All India Forum for Right to Education (AIF,RTE) , on 24th February, 2010 at Parliament Street
- 2008: Member Organizing Committee : Indian Social Science Congress , focal theme "Indian Republic at Cross Road " , held at Jamia Millia Islmia , December 17-22 , 2008
- 2007: Member Organizing Committee: of Regional Conference of the Vice Chancellors of Northern Region on September 20-21, 2007 Organized by Jamia Millia Islamia , entitled "Development of Higher Education during ninth five year plan and Higher Education Reforms "
- On study leave from 2001 -2004
- 2001: National Seminar on reorienting teacher training to address sustainable Development at IASE, JMI , New Delhi , April , 16-18,.2001 organized by IASE , JMI, ND &NCTE , New Delhi. Member organizing committee (Rapporteur and decoration in charge)
- 2000: National Seminar on People's science movement at Boys scout huts. ND.on Nov 4-6 2000 organized by Bharat Jan Vigyan Jatha , Member Organizing committee (Rapporteur)
- 1999: Work Shops organized for In service training at IASE on, Work experience, for elementary teachers and teacher educators, 1998-2000 Course Director
Member of the Advisory Board of the university / any other academic institutions, Executive memberships in Academic, Government and Non Government Organizations, Executive memberships in Academic, Government and Non Government Organizations
- 2009: Member Secretariat :All India Forum for Right to Education
- 2004 Member, Public Study Group, for intervention in functioning of CABE committee 2004. formed at the initiative of Council for social development and Bhartiya Jan Vigyan Jatha
- Member of the selection committee to recruit "Primary and Elementary teachers", for central schools. Appointed by: Kendriya Vidyalaya sanghathan, New Delhi, January 2000
- Member interview Board, admission committee for Nursery teachers training, Appointed by SCERT. (DIET, Moti bagh, New Delhi) each year from year 2000 to 2004
- Advisor /Resource person. Task: to Set up a" Learning Lab", at Okhla Primary School (MCD), by Rotary club, South Delhi.
Administration A short account of teacher’s contribution to Administration of the university
- Till date: In-Charge Jamia Community Centre, JMI, 2007 – till date
- 2009: Hony Director, Jamia Middle School August 2009 – March 2010
- 2006-2008: Manager, Shafiq Memorial Senior Secondary School, Delhi Education Society
- 2006 : Head, Department of Protocol from February, 2006 - Nov 2007
- 2004: Deputy Proctor from July 2004 -2006
- 2001: Student’s Advisor 2001-2002, Committee for advisors, IASE, Jamia Millia Islamia ND -25 prepared a note on students’ grievances.
- 1999 Member syllabus revision committee for work experience, edited work experience syllabus
- 1999: V.C. Nominee: Admission committee, Balak Mata Center, for several years Submitted three reports on status of schools (Building, activities of the school) along with recommendations for improvement of school also prepared a program plan for nursery classes
- Residential life of the students: VC Nominee, Admission committee, MS Working women Hostel. JMI, ND (1999)
Participation as well as Paper presentation to academic for a Seminars, Conferences, workshops Training program attended Work shop
- 2010 Attended a seminar on Right to Education: The Way forward, organized by Council for Social Development January 27th, 2010 at Conference Room No - 2 at India International Centre, New Delhi
- 2009 Attended Panel discussion organized by All India Forum for right to Education and Equal opportunity cell, on November 7th, 2009 at University Guest House, Delhi University.
- 2009 Attended a Seminar on " Common School System" , orgainised by NUEPA on Jnauary 22nd, 2009 at 10AM at Seminar Room at NUEPA, New Delhi
- 2009 Attended a International Conference on "Women of South Asia: Partners in Development" held on 30-31 March 2009 at 10:30 AM, organized by Jamia Millia Islamia at Ansari Auditorium, JMI Collaborators at Jamia: Academy of Third World Studies, Nelson Mandela Centre for Peace and Conflict Resolution, Outreach Program Support: Rai Foundation, Shri Lalchand Hirachand Premier Trust, Mumbai and South Asia Foundation Keynote Address: Nobel Laureate Professor Muammad Yunus, Managing Director, Grameen Bank, Banglades Chair: Professor Mushirul Hasan, Vice-Chancellor, Jamia Millia Islamia
- 2007 Constructivism in the Classroom , Presented a Paper, in a National Seminar On Education , organized by Kalka Institute of Education , held on march 13th,2007
- 2007: Attended a seminar on Issues in Inclusive Education of Children from Economically Diverse Backgrounds -Special Focus on the Proviso of Land Allotment to Private Schools , March 29-30, 2007, NUEPA, New Delhi Presented a paper entitled: entitled Constructivism, NCF and Inclusion in School
- 2007 "Study of change in primary mathematics textbooks for Grade 3 in Delhi Municipal Schools" Ali, Mukherjee and Rajan, Presented a paper in International Conference epiSTEME-2 , conducted by Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education at Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, February 2007 Mumbai 400 088 , INDIA
- 2006 Two days seminar on "Peace education", at JMI, organized by, Centre for Gandhian Studies, Feb 2006 , Participant
- 2006 Consultative meet on NCF, July 2005 at Nehru guest House, JMI Presented a critique on "work education", organized by Faculty of Education
- 2005: One day seminar on, "NCF 2005 "at JMI on September, 2005, JMI, Chair, Vice Chancellor, Jamia Millia Islamia. Participant
- 2005 One day Seminar at JMI on Intellectual Property rights on April 2005 organized by ARSD College, University of Delhi
- 2005 One day Bhagidari workshop on NCF 2005 at Sat Sain Education institute Lodhi state on August 3rd 2005, Delhi Govt. and SCERT, Chair, Chief Minister, Delhi State Participant
- 2005: One day Consultative Meet on NCF 2005 Old secretariat Indraprastha State organized by Education Department, Delhi Govt. and SCERT Participant
- 2004 Two days Work shop on flash media at CET, JMI, July 2004, Conducted by Jamia Millia Islamia Participant: Prepared format for the web sites using Flash, for Jamia Millia Islamia & IASE as a feed back of the work shop
- 2004 Two days National Seminar, towards quality education for all, issues and challenges beyond 86th amendment at India international centre, New Delhi, Oct. 7th and 8th 2004, Council for social development Participant
- 2003 ‘Role play ‘, as an educational support for promotion of life skill education held at Indian Social Institute New Delhi. April 21-23 2003, Sakshi (NGO supported by UNICEF Conducted the Workshop
- 2002: One day Seminar on , Value based education for health and hygiene at primary level, India International Center, New Delhi, April, 10 –11, 2002 organized by SAKSHI,NGO supported by UNICEF Presented a paper: Values: Why, what and how, Group leader to finalize the recommendations, Presented the report
- 2002: One day Seminar "Challenges in education" at Auditorium JMI, New Delhi, Feb. 2002, organized by Cultural Committee JMI, Member organizing Committee Rapporteur, for the seminar
- 2002 National Seminar Women as a Resource Manager at Amritsar Nov. 29-30, 2002 organized by DAV College for women, Amritsar Presented a Paper empowering women: Alternative strategies for teaching science
- 2002 International conference Generation of experimental materials and learning modules for , Science Education at Ashoka Hotel, New Delhi , October, 24-25, 2002 , Organized by INSA, IAP, IAC, Indian French and Mexican Academy of Sciences Participant
- 2002 Annual General Body Meeting of BJVJ at Indian Social Institute, New Delhi, April 9, 2002 Organized by Bharti Jan Vigyan Jatha Presented a concept note/Vision note for the Nation wide study
- 2001: National conference on ‘World Heritage Education", at UNESCO Office ND
- 2001 One day seminar on Value based teaching for health and hygiene, at India International center ND .Jan. 2001.organized by SAKSHI, NGO, supported by UNICEF. Presented a paper, "A Shift from Teaching to Learning, Can we avoid it?
- 2000:International conference "World Heritage Education at NEIPA New Delhi, on Dec.30th, 1999 to Jan. 1, 2000, organized by UNESCO Evaluated the Heritage Kit, Submitted a report to HRD ministry
- 2000: One day Seminar, Science of living at NCERT, New Delhi Nov. 6, 2000 organized by NCERT. Participant
- 2000: International conference Of Indian Association of teacher Educators at Moradabad, Dec., 2000 organized by Indian Association of teacher Educators presented a paper: Teaching Science through Process Approach: A challenge we must accept
- 2000 Work shop "Problem solving method", conducted by Dr. Keller of USA at IASE, Univ. of Delhi., 2000, IASE, Univ. of Delhi. Participant
- 2000 "Computer training", Center for information and technology, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi. Ten days at Center for information and technology, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi Participant
- 1999: National conference of Teacher Educators at Constitution club, New Delhi, Dec. 1999 organized by Indian Association of teacher Educators, Presented a paper: Teaching life skills, "A concern for the new millennium" Rapporteur prepared the report for the proceedings of the conference
Refresher Courses Attended
- 2005: Education: at Academic staff college
- Presented a seminar paper: Conversing with the children
- Prepared a PPT in a group: Significance of Buildings in our lives
- Prepared a Research proposal; Mid Day Meal as a Social Process
- Submitted a Text Book analysis: Mathematics, class 1, SCERT
Human Rights and Social Inclusion: at Academic Staff College 2006 presented a seminar paper: Right to Education
- Prepared a Research proposal; Right to Education: Role of the Indian State
- Submitted a Book Review: Emotional Intelligence, Daniel Goleman , bantam Books .
Resource Person (Talks, Lectures)
- 2009: In- Service program for teachers at Summer Field School, delivered a talk on, Process based science teaching at elementary level, Feb 2009
- In – Service program for Lecturers held at Academic Staff College 2008 , delivered a lecture entitled ……………….. 2009
- 2006: Coaching for ETE entrance exam, Title "Reasoning" at Jamia Middle School for 2006-2009, organized by, Urdu Academy
- 2005: In Service for PGT Urdu teachers, Title of the talk, "Importance of Visuals and Visual Literacy", at IASE, Jamia Millia Islamia May 2005 organized by IASE, JMI
- 2005: In Service for PGT Biology and PGT Physics teachers on "Process and Visual Based Teaching of science’, at IASE, organized by IASE, JMI
- 2005: Pre service Teacher Education (B.Ed), Maulana Azad university through distance mode: Microteaching, Evaluation and Visuals and Visual Literacy, at Jamia Millia Islamia , 2005
- 2004: Workshop for Balsakhi’s on Preparing Eco friendly and user friendly visual for teaching at primary level., Balak Mata Centre , April , 2004 organized by NGO Pratham
- 2003: Title of the talk: Importance of the Visuals and Visual Literacy in teaching learning process at IASE, Jamia Millia Islamia Oct 2003 organized by IASE, Jamia Millia Islamia on Teaching Aids Competition to celebrate Annual day of JMI
- 2003: In service program for teachers of primary MCD School, Title of the talk "Process based teaching at primary level", SCERT, New Delhi, April 2003 organized by SCERT, New Delhi
- 2003: In service program for Math’s Teacher’s of elementary schools Title of the talk : Emotional intelligence at IASE, New Delhi, May 2003, organized by IASE, JMI
- 2003: In service program for Math’s Teacher’s of elementary schools , Title of the talk , "Conversing with the children", at IASE, New Delhi , May 2003 organized by IASE, JMI
- 2001: In Service program for TGT's and PGT's (Teachers of Minority Institution's)Title of the talk: Teaching science through process approach at IASE, JMI, May 22 2001 IASE, JMI and Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Society.
- 2001: In Service program for Teachers of primary schools MCD Preparation of Bulletin Boards. New Delhi April 16, 2001 organized by Sakshi , NGO Supported by UNICEF
- 2001: Contact program for B.Ed.(Distance Education), Teaching Aids, IASE, JMI, May 23 and May 26 , 2001. Organized by IASE & IGNOU
- 2001: Contact program for B.Ed.(Distance Education) Guidance during simulated teaching IASE, JMI May 17 , 2001 organized by IASE & IGNOU
- 2000: In Service program for TGT's Teaching Social science through activities , IASE, JMI, May 18, 2000 IASE, JMI
- 2000: In Service program for TGT's , Teaching science through activities IASE, JMI, May20, 2000, IASE, JMI
- 1999 In service Program for sec. Teachers, Lesson planning for integrated science, At IASE, (May 1999) JMI
- 1998:In Service program for TGT's, Action Research, At IASE (Nov. 1998) Organized by IASE, JMI