Prof Ameena Kazi Ansari
Department of English,
Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI),
नई दिल्ली - 110025
- Higher Secondary, First Division, Central Board of Secondary Education, 1977.
- B. A. (English Honours), First Division, University of Rajasthan, 1980.
- M. A. (English), First Division, Aligarh Muslim University, 1982.
- M. Phil., University of Kashmir, (Grade ‘A’ in all components of assessment), 1987.
- Ph. D., Jamia Millia Islamia, (Division/Grade is not awarded for this degree), 2002.
Details of research degrees
- Master of Philosophy (M. Phil.):
Dissertation on “The Poet as Novelist: A Study of A Group of Early Novels of D. H. Lawrence”
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph. D.):
Thesis on “Canadian Literary Canon: Emergence and Development”. Dissertation was later published as English-Canadian Literary Canon: Emergence and Development.
Areas of specialization and interest:
- Modern British fiction, Canadian literature, Translation and Translation Studies
Areas of teaching
- Modern British fiction
- Canadian literature
- Translation Studies
- Australian literature
- Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century British poetry
- Greek drama
- Medieval British poetry
- Literary Criticism
- The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, MEG-3, New Delhi: Indira Gandhi National Open University, 1988.
- ‘Canadian Literature: Scanning the Literary Landscape’, New Literatures in English, MEG – 8, New Delhi: Indira Gandhi National Open University, 2002.
- English-Canadian Literary Canon: Emergence and Development, New Delhi: Creative Books, 2003.
- Translation/Representation, co-edited with Anisur Rahman, New Delhi: Creative Books, 2008.
- ‘Ice-Candy Man’ in Postcolonial Literature, Kota, Rajasthan: Vardhman Mahaveer Open University, 2009.
- Indian English Women Poets, co-edited with Anisur Rahman, New Delhi: Creative Books, 2009.
- The Complete Short Stories, Volume I, of Premchand, co-edited with Anisur Rahman, Oxford University Press, 2009 (in press)
Articles and Reviews
- Review of Periplus, ed. D. Weissbort & A. K. Mehrotra, The Journal of the Poetry Society (India),Vol. 5, No. 3, 1994.
- Article – ‘Decolonizing the Canon,’ Revaluations (Commonwealth Literature Special), Vol. I, No. 3, Autumn 1995.
- Article – ‘Reality Beyond Realism,’ Odyssey, Vol. 1, 1996.
- Article – “In Celebration of Homecoming: A Study of Les Murray’s The Daylight Moon,” Creative Forum, No. 1-2, Jan.-Dec. 1996.) Also included in Commonwealth Language & Literature, (ed.) Q. Z. Alam, New Delhi: Bahri Publications, 1997.
- Article – “Text/ Subtext: Reading A Fine Balance,” Writers of the Diaspora, ed. Jasbir Jain, Jaipur: Rawat Publications, 1998.
- Review of Through the Fire, Jane Bow, Indian Journal of Canadian Studies, Vol. 9, 2000.
- Article – “From Courtyards to Horizons: A Reading of Anjana Appachana’s “Her Mother” and Shani Mootoo’s “A Garden of Her Own”,’ English Journal, Vol. XIII, No 1, 2001.
- Review of Translation: Poetics &Practice, ed. Anisur Rahman, Re-Markings, Vol. I, March 2002.
- Article – “Partition Revisited: Looking at Ashfaque Ahmed’s Gadariya,” Pangs of Partition: The Human Dimension, Vol. II, I.C.H.R., New Delhi: Manohar, 2002.
- Review of Through the Closed Doorway (translation of Urdu poet Shahryar’s verses) – “Beyond the Literal”, New Delhi: The Hindu, November 7, 2004
- Review of Four Walls and a Black Veil by Fahmida Riaz and After Gujarat and other Poems by Seeme Qasim, Book Review: South Asia Special XXIX, No. 12, 2005
- Book Section – ‘Short Story’ (ed.), The Joy of Reading, Orient Longman, 2005
- Article – “Plebeian Patricians in Premchand’s Short Stories,” Narrative of the Village: Centre of the Periphery, ed. Jasbir Jain, Jaipur: Rawat Publications, 2006
- “Between Hostile World and Uncaring Sky: A Reading of Mahmoud Darwish,” Marginal Existence: New Trends in Literature, ed. Anita Parihar and Anil Bisht, New Delhi: Creative Books, 2006
- Article – “Making an Ocean of a River: Reading Australian Poems on sport,” Interconnections: Identity, Representation, Belonging, New Delhi: Mantra, 2006.
- Article – “Customising the Body: Kamleshwar’s Kitne Pakistan, Reading Partition/Living Partition, ed. Jasbir Jain, Jaipur: Rawat Publications, 2007.
- Article – “(Re)Configuring Spaces: Asian Diasporic Writing”, Journal of the Literature of the Depressed, Vol. 2, January 2007.
- Partitions, English translation of Kamleshwar’s Sahitya Akademi awarded Hindi novel Kitne Pakistan, Penguin, 2006.
- “The Goatherd”, (translation of Ashfaque Ahmed’s Urdu story Gadariya), Sleepwalkers ed. Keerti Ramachandra, Katha, 1998.
- “Labyrinths” (translation of Urdu short story “Bhool Bhulaiyan”), New Urdu Fictions, New Delhi: Katha, 2004
- “Munni of Bangali House” (translation of Urdu short story “Bangali House ki Munni”), New Urdu Fictions, New Delhi: Katha, 2004
- “Writing Kitne Pakistan: Compulsion and Necessity,” (Translation of Kamleshwar’s Hindi essay) Reading Partition/Living Partition, ed. Jasbir Jain, Jaipur: Rawat Publications, 2007.
- “Terror at Home”, (translation of Sudhir Chandra’s article in Jansatta, September 2008), The Idea of a University: Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi: Aakar Books, 2009.
- Jamia Millia Islamia – A Profile (describes the Jamia’s evolution down the ages, from inception to 2000)
- Dr. Zakir Husain Library (gives an overview of facilities, equipment and material available in Jamia’s new library inaugurated in May 2009)
Participation in Seminars/ Conferences/Workshops etc:
- Congress of Comparative Literature, Department of English, Jamia Millia Islamia, 1992.
- National Seminar on ‘South Asian Writers; Canada & The World,’ Chaudhary Charan Singh University, 2001. Presented paper “From Courtyards to Horizons: A Reading of Anjana Appachana’s ‘Her Mother’ and Shani Mootoo’s ‘A Garden of Her Own’”.
- Australian Writers’ Forum, India International Centre, 2002. Presented paper “Inez Baraney’s The Edge of Bali”.
- Seminar on “Education: Breaking the Barriers,” Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi, March 27-29, 2003. Acted as Anchorperson.
- Second International Conference of the Indian Association for the Study of Australia (AISA), New Delhi, on “Australia: Identity, Representation and Belonging,” January 15-17, 2004. Presented paper on “Making an Ocean of a River: Reading Australian Poems on Sport”.
- National Seminar on “Narratives of Belonging in the Times of Globalization: Contemporary Writing in India and Canada,” Department of English, University of Udaipur, January 19-20, 2004. Presented paper “Forging Critical Pathways: Voices in 20th Century Canadian Literary Criticism”
- National Conference on “Translation and Socioliterary Space,” Department of English and Modern European Languages, Jamia Millia Islamia, February 12-14, 2004. Also worked as a member of the Organising Committee for the Conference.
- National seminar on “Marginal Existence: New Trends in Literature” organized by Department of English, Kumaon University, Nainital, November 4-6, 2004. Presented paper “Hostile World and Uncaring Sky: A Reading of Mahmoud Darwish”.
- National Workshop on “Aspects of Commonwealth Literature: Challenges and Possibilities in 21st Century”, Department of English, Government Postgraduate College, Morena (Jiwaji University), January 15-16, 2005. Presented paper “Canadian Literary Profile: Then and Now”.
- Workshop on “Teaching the Canadian Canon”, University of Delhi, March 15, 2004. Presented paper “English Canadian Literary Canon: An Overview”
- Attended a National Seminar-cum-Workshop on “Translating Premchand - I”, Department of English, Jamia Millia Islamia, March 17-19, 2005. Also presented a translation of the story “Idgah” by Premchand and worked as Resource Person.
- National Seminar on “Culture, Identity and Environment,” Darjeeling Government College, Darjeeling, November 26-27, 2005. Presented paper “(Re)configuring Spaces: Asian Diasporic Writing”.
- International seminar on “Indian Contribution to Australian Literature,” Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, January 16-17, 2006. Presentation on ‘Teaching Peter Carey”.
- Seminar on “Representing Partition,” Department of English, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi, January 19, 2006.
- National Seminar-cum-Workshop on “Translating Premchand - II”, Department of English, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi, March 2-4, 2006. Acted as Resource Person.
- National Workshop on “Translation of Literary and Academic Texts,” Department of English, University of Mumbai, August 28-29, 2006. Acted as Resource Person.
- Coordinator, UGC SAP national seminar on Author as Translator, March 13-14, 2008, Department of English, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi.
- Curriculum Development Workshop, Department of Social Work, Jamia Millia Islamia, December 29, 2008, JMI, New Delhi. Acted as Resource Person.
- Curriculum Development Workshop, Department of Social Work, Jamia Millia Islamia, January 9, 2009. Lecture on “Teaching English: Issues and Innovation”. Acted as Resource Person.
- Presented paper entitled “Khuda ke Liye: A Reading of Power Paradigms”, 9th Comparative Literature Association of India (CLAI), University of Hyderabad, January 29-29, 2009.
- Curriculum Development Workshop, Department of Social Work, Jamia Millia Islamia, February 11, 2009. Acted as Resource Person.
- International Seminar-cum-Workshop on Translating Time: Fictions of the Future, Department of English, Jamia Millia Islamia, in collaboration with IIT, Delhi, and The Asia Pacific Writing Partnership, October 18-20, 2008.
- Colloquium on “Experiencing Translation”, UGC SAP Assistance Programme, Department of English, March 28, 2009.
- Dissertation on the problems of English language teaching at secondary school level (degree awarded)
- Dissertation on the novels of Alice Walker and Gloria Naylor (degree awarded)
- Dissertation on Michael Ondaatje’s technique of collaging (degree awarded)
- Dissertation on Cornelia Sorabjee’s writings in English on India (degree awarded)
- Dissertation on the portrayal of Partition and violence in Anita Desai’s In Custody and Githa Hariharan’s In Times of Siege (degree awarded)
- Dissertation on the city as persona in Rohinton Mistry’s Such a Long Journey and A Fine Balance (degree awarded)
- Dissertation on adventure and ideology in Ruskin Bond’s Rusty series (degree awarded)
- Dissertation on the dynamics of gender and power in The Thousand Nights and One Night (in progress)
- Ph. D. thesis on the autobiographical writings of Benjamin Franklin and Jean Jacques Rousseau (submitted)
- Ph.D. thesis on Robert Browning’s representation of Renaissance (in progress)
- Ph. D. thesis on Premchand’s Translations and Reception (in progress)
- Refresher Course in English, Academic Staff College (ASC), JMI 2002 – 2 lectures
- Refresher Course in English, ASC, JMI, 2003 – 3 lectures
- Refresher Course in English, Department of English, M. L. Sukhadia University, Udaipur, 2004 – 1 lecture
- Orientation Course, ASC, JMI, 2004 – 1 lecture
- Refresher Course in English, ASC, JMI, 2005 – 1 lecture
- Refresher Course in English, ASC, JMI, 2006 – 2 lectures
- Refresher Course in English, UGC-ASC, Simla, HP, 2006 – 2 lectures
- Orientation Course, ASC, Jamia Millia Islamia, 2006 –1 lecture
- Orientation Course, ASC, Jamia Millia Islamia 2006 – 1 lecture
- Refresher Course in English, Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru Government College, Faridabad, Haryana, 2008 – 2 lectures
- Refresher Course in English, Department of English, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, 2008 – 2 lectures
- Refresher Course in English, Department of English, DDU Gorakhpur University, 2008 – 2 lectures
- Refresher Course in English, ASC, JMI, 2009 – 1 lecture lecture
Work in Progress
- Translating Kamleshwar’s Hindi novella, Lautey Huay Musafir
- Indian Association of Canadian Studies, New Delhi.
- Indian Association of Commonwealth Literature and Literary Studies.
- Member, Editoral Board, Expressions, Sarojini Naidu Centre for Women’s Studies, Jamia Millia Islamia.
- Member, Governing Body, Nobel Education Foundation, New Delhi.
- Member, Advisory Board, MFA Academy, NOIDA, UP.
- Life Member, Comparative Literature Association of India (CLAI).
- Educational Consultants of India (EDCIL), NOIDA, UP. Worked towards setting and evaluation of papers for various tests undertaken by EDCIL.
- Thomson Press (India) Ltd, NOIDA, UP. Instructed editorial staff for editing of material related to scientific journals and books.
- Katha, New Delhi. Discussed strategies of teaching and popularizing literature in translation at university level.
- American Center, Embassy of the United States, New Delhi [Nominated students for North East and South Asia (NESA) student scholarships to the US for Fall semester 2007]
- Student Advisor, B.A. (Hons.), Jamia Millia Islamia, 1998-2006. Organised the English Department’s student body as a cohesive group and offered counseling regarding their studies and career.
- Coordinator, B. A. (Pass), Jamia Millia Islamia, 1998-99. Organised undergraduate student body in respect of their admission, conduct of classes, examination and general supervision of their interests, academic obligations and duties.
- Progamme Officer, National Service Scheme (NSS), Jamia Millia Islamia: 1998-2003. Participated in the planning and execution of programmes conducted by National Service Scheme (NSS), an important organ of the university that organizes wide-ranging co-curricular activities by students. NSS is supported by Government funding.
- Advisor, Editorial Board of student magazine Tehzeeb, Jamia Millia Islamia, 1999-2004. Guided and monitored the work of student editors to see the publication of their magazine.
- 5.Advisor, English Literary Association, Dept. of English, Jamia Millia Islamia, 2000-2006. Conducted about a dozen curricular and co-curricular activities each year for the students of English Department. At the end of the session, they were awarded certificates and mementoes.
- Assistant Superintendent of Examinations, Jamia Millia Islamia, 2000-2003. Helped conduct the annual examinations of the university which included preparation of venue for examination, distribution of papers, invigilation duties, dispatch of answer books, and general supervision of the conduct of examinations.
- Member, Editorial Committee, Jamia Newsletter: 2002-2004. Helped compile and edit the academic activities undertaken by the university to showcase the achievements by faculty members, visiting faculty, research engagements, lectures, seminars etc.
- Assistant Proctor, Jamia Millia Islamia: 2002-2005. Helped streamline, monitor and ensure discipline on the campus.
- Member, Faculty Committee, Faculty of Humanities & Languages, Jamia Millia Islamia. Contributed to deliberations on issues of academic importance proposed by the departments of the faculty and facilitated decision making.
- Member, Advisory Committee, Special Assistance Programme sponsored by the University Grants Commission, Government of India, New Delhi, to formulate policies and supervise working of the translation projects initiated under the programme in the Department of English, Jamia Millia Islamia.
- Coordinator, English Language Teaching Programme, Jamia Millia Islamia, funded by the US Embassy, New Delhi, 2004 till date. The programme called Access Micro Scholarship Program, launched in 2004, has so far enrolled over two hundred Jamia school students. They have received instruction in communicative English. Three of them were awarded scholarships to study in US schools for one year while two others selected for a three-week exchange program to the US.
- Honorary Director, Jamia Senior Secondary School, 2004 till date. This involves looking after the general and academic administration of Jamia Senior Secondary School. I have discharged my duties as Honorary Director broadly to supervise admission, studies, examination, and hostel accommodation etc.
- Nominating Faculty for American Embassy, New Delhi has been inviting me to nominate Jamia students for availing US government scholarships. The programme, which started in 2004, has continued ever since and ten students have availed of this opportunity so far. The American Embassy also invited me to nominate two Jamia schoolteachers for a teachers’ training programme in the US in 2005.
- Member, Syllabus Revision Committee, Department of English, Jamia Millia Islamia, 2004. Helped in preparing and recommending a syllabus for compulsory General English course.
- Coordinator, Refresher Course in English, Academic Staff College, Jamia Millia Islamia, 2004. Organised a three-week refresher course for college teachers. It involved planning the programme for the entire duration, inviting faculty from Delhi and outside to deliver lectures.
- Member, Committee for Academic Component, Jamia Millia Islamia, 2004. Helped frame guidelines for proper utilization of funds sanctioned by the University Grants Commission.
- Member, Sub-purchase committee, Jamia Millia Islamia University Guest House, 2004. Helped in selecting the right vendors for supply of furniture and furnishing items for the university guesthouse.
- Member, Entrance Examination Committee, Jamia Millia Islamia, 2004. Reviewed existing procedures for conducting entrance tests for admission to various courses of the university.
- Member, Needs Assessment Committee, SRK Boys Hostel, Jamia Millia Islamia, 2004. Helped assess the requirements of the hostel for smooth functioning and comfortable stay of students.
- Foreign Students Advisor, Jamia Millia Islamia, 2005 till date. This involves attending to the academic requirements (starting from their admission to the award of the degrees) of the foreign students admitted to various courses of the university. These students come to the university through Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR), Government of India, Jamia's Memoranda of Understanding with foreign universities/institutions, under supernumerary category, as independent students, and also as independent self-financing students.
- Member, Central Admission Coordination and Monitoring Committee (CACMC), Jamia Millia Islamia, 2005-2007. Worked as a member of the committee to streamline and monitor university entrance tests, evaluation, admissions, and all other matters relating to admission and admission-related grievances.
- In-Charge, School Admissions, Jamia Schools, 2005, 2006, and 2007. Conducted the entire process of school admissions which included setting of entrance test papers, moderation of papers, conduct of tests, evaluation, preparation of merit lists, and final grant of admission to students.
- Member, Editorial Board, Expressions, Sarojini Naidu Centre for Women’s Studies. Jamia Millia Islamia. 2005 till date. Helped compile and edit the publication for dissemination among students and faculty members.
- Member, Prospectus Committee, Jamia Schools and Balak Mata Centres, 2005 till date. Recommended additions and deletion in the prospectuses of Jamia schools and Balak Mata Centres.
- Member, Steering Committee, Sarojini Naidu Centre for Women’s Studies, 2005. Assisted in the evaluation of projects and activities undertaken by the Centre.
- Member, Committee for Popularizing Educational Programmes offered by Jamia Millia Islamia in Gulf countries, 2005. Worked on the plan and strategies for taking Jamia to foreign shores for the purpose of imparting education.
- Member, Games and Sports Committee for Jamia Schools, 2005. Coordinated and monitored the development and maintenance work of the playgrounds, sports infrastructure and activities.
- Member, Infrastructure Development Committee, 2006. Helped in planning of utilization of funds for proper development of institutions of learning.
- Event Management: Organised and supervised innumerable events at the departmental and University levels. These include functions, festivals, lectures, seminars, workshops etc held every year
- United States of America From September 18 to October 06, 2006, under the auspices of the International Visitor Leadership Programme (IVLP) on the invitation of the US Government. The IVLP was first established in 1940 and is one of the US Government’s most prestigious professional exchange programmes for foreign opinion leaders.
- Kuwait in January 2007 as a member of Jamia’s delegation to assess the possibilities of offshore education to be offered there by the university.
Have been actively associated with bodies and institutions outside Jamia. Acted as a judge in debating competitions organized by various schools and colleges in Delhi like Frank Anthony Memorial All-India Inter-School Debate, Zonal Final, Mothers International Debating competition, Premchand Memorial National Debate organized by Hindu College Debating Society.