The FTK-Centre For Information Technology is a state-of-the-art centre in Jamia Millia Islamia which caters to the ICT requirements of the University. Originally it was established in the year 1984 as a Computer Center with the objective of providing basic computing facilities to the students and teachers. During the past three-decades the centre has evolved from a small computing facility to a critical central facility of the University. Keeping its ethos of refurbishing education and research with modernization, the Jamia Millia Islamia has been leveraging the ICT as a tool to induce strategic improvement and changes in the system. The FTK-Centre for Information Technology has thus taken an important role of IT enabler for the University.
The centre today offers essential ICT services including Internet Access, Emailing, Jamia MIS, IT security, WiFi, University Portal development and maintenance, Problem diagnostics and troubleshooting etc. through a network comprising approximately 8000+ nodes. All ICT services offered by the centre remain operational 24x7 across the University. To provide Internet facility and access to online learning material, the Center administers a 1-Gbps link to the National Knowledge Network. In addition, the centre manages an additional Internet bandwidth of 172 Mbps available through other operators.
The FTK-Centre for Information Technology also played a critical role in making Jamia Millia Islamia a pioneer central university by implementing a fully integrated 18-module ERP system popularly known as Jamia MIS. It provides transactional support to all functional requirements of the University ranging from admission of students to conduct of classes, recruitment of staff to retirement procedures, payroll etc. Ever since implementation of Jamia MIS in 2003-2004, the FTK-Centre For Information Technology is constantly working to evolve the system further by developing new features to enhance transparency and efficiency in the system. In the World Education Summit - 2011, the Jamia Millia Islamia got the Best Jury Award for the “Best ICT Enabled Institution of Higher Learning' for the ‘File Tracking System’ utility developed by the FTK-Centre For Information Technology.
The center also maintains a state-of-the-art Web Portal of the University. The feature rich portal is based on Web 2.0 technologies and provides up-to-date information to the external as well as internal users of the university.
To promote collaboration amongst academic and administrative staff of the University, the Center has adopted Google Workspace (formerly GSuite for education). More than 3000 accounts have already been created for this facility for Jamia teaching, administrative and technical staff. In addition to the Jamia eMail service, the users get access to Google Docs, Calendars, Groups etc. The FTK-Centre For Information Technology also provide such facilities to its students under Microsoft’s Live@Edu program.
To support Online classes and other academic & administrative programs, the university has been using tools such as Google Meet, Google Classroom & Cisco WebEx.
The Center also engages itself in research activities through its Ph.D. (ICT) programme. It also undertakes ICT capacity development of faculty members, students and University staff by regularly conducting academic events like Conferences, Workshops, Training Programmes and Extension Lectures.
- To excel in the emerging areas of ICT to enable the university to achieve academic, research and operational excellence.
- Leverage ICT tools for improving quality of teaching & learning and research.
- Promote ICT adoption.
- Provide and maintain ICT infrastructure to support core ICT & end user operations.
- Maintain an up-to-date Web portal to function as a repository of information for all stakeholders.
- Provide a platform for transparent & effective governance.
- Keep abreast in emerging areas of Information Technology.
- Identify and adopt emerging ICT tools that could improve quality of teaching, learning & research.
- Conduct training, workshops, seminars & conferences on relevant themes of ICT for university community including faculty members, staff & students.
- Acquire and maintain University’s LAN, WiFi, Servers & end user ICT equipment etc.
- Further develop and maintain Jamia Webportal.
- Further develop the JMI Management Information System to make it even more useful for university governance.
- Undertake research in emerging areas of Information Technology.