NAAC has been instilling a momentum of quality consciousness amongst Higher Educational Institutions, aiming for continuous improvement. However, lasting improvements in standards cannot come about only by accreditation from outside, once in five years. An internal mechanism for sustenance, assurance and enhancement of the quality culture of education imparted by the institution, therefore becomes essential. Many HEIs already have established the Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) as a post accreditation quality sustenance activity. Therefore, in pursuance for performance evaluation, assessment and accreditation and quality up-gradation of institutions of higher education, Jamia Millia Islamia has setup an Internal Quality Assurance cell since 2010. Ever since its establishment the IQAC is actively working towards creating quality conscious environment in the University. Jamia Millia Islamia has been accredited as ‘A’ grade for the first cycle of NAAC accreditation in Feb 2015.
Maintaining the momentum of quality consciousness is crucial. Internal Quality Assurance Cell, in fact, is conceived as a mechanism to build and ensure a quality culture at the institutional level. It should have an internal quality assurance system, with appropriate structure and processes, and with enough flexibility to meet the diverse needs of the stakeholders. The internal quality assurance mechanism of the institution called as “Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC)”, is meant for planning, guiding and monitoring Quality Assurance (QA) and Quality Enhancement (QE) activities of the university
The IQAC channelizes and systematizes the efforts and measures towards academic excellence. It is merely not yet another hierarchical structure or record-keeping exercise; but a facilitative and participative organ of the institution. The IQAC strives to become a driving force for ushering in quality by working out intervention strategies to remove deficiencies and enhance quality.
To foster quality culture for achieving and sustaining institutional excellence globally
- "To channelize and systematize the efforts and measures of the university towards achieving institutional excellence."
- "To be the catalyst for creating quality consciousness to remove deficiencies and enhance quality through programmed action to improve the academic and administrative performance of the institution."
- Acting as a nodal agency to coordinate quality-related activities including an adoption and dissemination of best practices
- To evolve Quality Culture in the University in sync with the norms and guidelines prescribed by national and international educational agencies
- To evolve quality benchmarks and systems for the various academic and administrative activities in sync with the institutional as well as national mandates and priorities
- Dissemination of information on the various quality parameters and sensitization of stakeholders on relevance and quality in academic and research to ensure timely, efficient and progressive performance
- To encourage self-evaluation, accountability and innovation in teaching, learning, research
- Evaluation of existing academic and administrative practices, planning internal and external audits for identifying areas for quality improvement in teaching, learning, research and overall institutional excellence
- Organization of inter and intra institutional workshops, trainings and seminars for creating quality awareness and capacity building
- To ensure a transparent action-oriented feedback mechanism from stakeholders on institutional processes and infrastructure.
- Participation in National and International University Ranking Frameworks
- Development and Maintenance of institutional database of the University for maintaining /enhancing the institutional quality exploiting ICTs
- Preparation of the Annual Quality Assurance Report (AQAR), other periodic reports and updating of data on related UGC/ MoE portals.