The Centre for Innovation and Entrepreneurship (CIE) was established in 2015 as per the direction of the Government of India to focus on innovation and skill-oriented education in Govt. funded universities.
The Vision of the centre is to develop a vibrant, sustainable ecosystem to promote innovation, nurture start-ups and incubation by integrating various professional domains for socially relevant ventures and to make a positive impact on society.
The centre welcomes innovative ideas from the students. It nurtures their ideas for start-ups and provides direction to them, so that such students can go on to become successful innovators and entrepreneurs. In the past few years, a number of start-ups have been launched:
- Maatritvaa (in the domain of medical health)
- PFRepo Technologies Pvt Ltd (in the domain of education and career)
- Ergo Active (in the domain of health and fitness)
- MusiX IN (in the domain of health and wellness)
- Doc-aid (in the domain of technical documents AI research)
- Pet Coddle (in the domain of pet care and health)
- Organic Connect (in the domain of organic farming)
The centre also runs a Post Graduate Diploma course in Innovation, Entrepreneurship, and Design Thinking (PGD-EID).
The centre also provides skill-based training to unemployed youth and persons belonging to under-privileged backgrounds so that they may become self-employed.
The Centre for Innovation & Entrepreneurship has two units:
- Livelihood Business Incubator (LBI)
- Design Innovation Centre (DIC)
Livelihood Business Incubator - LBI:
The Livelihood Business Incubator was established with funding from the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) in 2016. The basic objective of the Livelihood Business Incubator is to provide skill-based training to school drop outs and the unemployed youth, especially from under-privileged backgrounds. This unit has been running skilled based training programs called the “Entrepreneurship Development Programs – EDPs” of 8 weeks duration as per MSME guidelines. These programs are aimed at employment generation, particularly self-employment, especially for those from economically and socially weaker sections of society.
The objectives of the Livelihood Business Incubator are:
- To provide skill-based training to school drop outs/persons belonging to underprivileged sections of society, so that they get employed
- To provide opportunity to unemployed youth to acquire skills which can make them build their own enterprises and encourage them to become successful small business owners.
A few Skill Training and EDPs run by LBI are:
- PET bottle making and packaging
- Bakery (bread, biscuit, cake etc.)
- Spice grinding and packing
- Computer hardware and networking
- Beautician training
- Tailoring and embroidery
- Sanitary napkin making
- Sales and marketing
- CNC Training (Basic and Advance)
The products (All the products are trademarked, ISO and FSSAI certified) made by LBI are:
- Packaged drinking water under the brand name of JMI Jal
- Packaged spices under the brand name of JMI Spices
- Disposable paper cup and plates
- Bakery products under the brand name of JMI Bakers
The Design Innovation Centre - DIC:
The Design Innovation Centre was established with support from the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Govt. of India, through Cluster Innovation Center, University of Delhi, Delhi. This program was sanctioned to the University of Delhi in 2015 with JMI as one of its spokes. Under this scheme, the centre has organized many programmes, talks and interactions on innovation and start-ups. A number of innovative projects have been completed by the students of the centre and some have even launched start-ups of their own, under the guidance of the centre.
The objectives of the Design Innovation Centre are:
- To train students in innovative thinking, entrepreneurship and design thinking and solutions which can address societal needs
- To foster and advance the culture of Innovation, Entrepreneurship and Design Thinking in the university
- Click here for details: DISQ Cohort 2021